car accidents in france

European Accident Statement / Car Insurance Claims

If you should have a collision in France, you will need to fill out a “constat amiable” (translated as a “friendly observation”). This document is supplied by your insurance company and is normally found in your glove compartment.

The document can be slightly intimidating. A copy in English can be seen here :

Since 2014, in circumstances where there are no more than 2 vehicles involved, an electronic submission can be made via a smartphone.

The link to the e-constat can be found here: